Dec 4, 2011

Bigger is an understatement - part 2


USA is not just bigger looking at it from a material point of view. The other day my friend Indyra (Belgium) told what she likes the most about USA: “That Americans think big.” And that made me realize how right she is. USA has big houses, big cars and big supermarkets – but they particularly have a population that think big. Nothing is impossible here and every dream is welcome. In Denmark, or maybe even the most of Europe, we are more rational and realistic; we think more safely and some would maybe call it more sensible. But aren’t we also more small-minded? Afraid of taking chances maybe? Yes, it is a generalization, but compared to Americans, we think smaller. Americans aren’t afraid of dreaming, which I admire them for.
Wednesday night we went to Nokia Theater where The Grammy Nominations Concert was held. We arrived in a limo and found our very good seats – but we also realized that we were 45 minutes late. But we just tried to keep our good mood and enjoy the rest of the show. We still saw a few Celebrities such as David Guetta, Kary Perry, Lady Gaga and Bruno Mars. But the highlight of my night was definitely when I met the Disney Channel star Roshon Fegan – he was really nice and polite and took his time to take a picture with us. The funniest was when Silvio (Mexico) exclaimed: “That’s Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter!”, pointed at a blond girl and ran over to her and asked if he could have a picture with her. When he got closer and the girls confused asked “with me?” he slowly realizes that she was just a girl who looked like Luna Lovegood. Embarrassing.
Saturday was Elise’s birthday, so Alyssa, Rebecca and I woke her up with birthday cake, breakfast and a balloon. We spend the day in Laguna Beach and Newport Beach – both places were very beautiful, but I kind of missed Ryan and Seth. In the night we ate dinner at The Cheesecake Factory, where I probably had my best meal since I got here.
So besides being sick, I am enjoying life to the fullest here in Cali!
In front of the limo

Inside the limo

The birthday cake

Laguna Beach

Newport Beach

Newport Beach

2 comments:

  1. Really nice blog ;) Could You write something more about Your host family? How far from Redondo B. do You live and how does life with host family look like? ;) Just wait with longing 4 Your next posts ;) Greets from Poland :) Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is so cool and I love to read of all your experience! I'm going start my stay in April 2012 and I'm pretty excited!

    xoxo
    Nissy

    ReplyDelete